7/27/09

What I know about cellphones

"All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." ~Mark Kennedy

Technology is wonderful. Technology is stupid.

I swear, the more I know about a certain piece of technology, the more of an idiot I am with it. Take the cellphone. It's a nifty little invention, made so that communication is quicker, better, more accessible, because now you don't have to pray and hope that someone is home in order to talk to them. You can speak with anyone, anywhere, anytime.

...provided there's a signal where they are, their phone is on, it's not on silent, they're not otherwise more importantly engaged. Or already on a call with someone else who also now has the ease to communicate.

In this world, where we create so many things for our own convenience, we often outgrow what we were trying to avoid (i.e. making it easier to have phone conversations whenever) and are forced to move onto dealing with the new pratfalls and inconveniences that arise along with whatever previous inconvenience we got rid of. We want to be more accessible by having a cellphone, then we complain that no one leaves us alone. I was born a brunette but want to be a redhead.

This is not a complaint. I love my computer, the AC, my iPhone, television and my game consoles. I love them all. But I know that once I understand how to work them, I get impatient and stupid when they won't do exactly what I need them to, because it is an inconvenience to me, and all they know is processors and RAM and can only do the best they can to please me. Technology is smart, but it makes me stupid.

And, to finish, a quote on technology:
"Do you realize if it weren't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight?" ~Al Boliska

No comments:

Post a Comment